Childhood obesity has become a major health issue. As a person in charge of my family’s nutrition, I want to be sure that my child maintains a healthy weight. It is normal for all kids to have their own growth trend, but it is important that they continue to follow their growth curve and not gain weight excessively. If you are concerned about your child’s growth, discuss it with their doctor.
As parents, we can help our children maintain a healthy weight by modeling healthy eating habits to them. It is also important that they are physically active daily. Other than weight management, daily movement can help improve our children’s bone strength and improve their mental health. Getting adequate sleep is also very important! When children do not get enough sleep, they are more likely to eat more and be less active. Here are some ideas that are easy to do at home as a family to help your child maintain a healthy weight!
Avoid Childhood Obesity by Modeling Healthy Eating Behaviors
- Limit sugary drinks and drink plenty of water
- Offer a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains at meals and snacks
- Limit consumption of sugary desserts and treats
- Have each meal consist of colorful fruits and/or vegetables, protein, and nutritious carbohydrates
Participate in Enjoyable Movement daily
- It is recommended that children 5 and under be active throughout the day
- Here are some daily activities that can be done as a family: go on walks or hikes, go to a park, play in the backyard, go on family bike rides, and play tag.
Limit Screen time
- For children under the age of 2, it is recommended that they do not engage in any screen time.
- For children 2 years of age and older, limit screen time to 2 hours or less per day.
- Encourage children to play games and do other activities as a family instead of watching television or playing video games!
Always remember that our children love to model our behavior, so as a parent, I am always trying to teach my child how to eat healthily, be active daily, and limit my screen time! Following the above tips can help our child to maintain a healthy weight throughout the rest of their lives.