I’ve been asked by many of my patients and friends about my thoughts on COVID vaccination. Having recently gotten a Moderna shot #1 myself, I took some time to careful review all of the evidence. After doing so, my advice to my patients is to get the vaccine when they can! The vaccine is doubly important to those with underlying medical conditions, including seizures, heart and lung disease, mobility limitations, obesity, diabetes and more. After reading the original papers (list below) I feel confident in the data and in mRA technology, which is safer in many ways than traditional vaccines!
Its okay to have questions…
New medical interventions can seem scary! Add to that the lack of full FDA approval (just on emergency authorization) and the general stress of our pandemic environment and the worried feelings are understandable!
New Vaccine, but well studied technology
Having said that, the mRNA technology used in the Moderna and Pfizer vaccine has been studied for years, which is why it was able to be produced so quickly.
Debunking COVID Vaccine Myths
- You CAN get the vaccine if you have allergies to oral medications, foods, bees or environmental allergens – even with a history of anaphylaxis. Only those with a history of allergic reaction to injectables (IV contrast, shots) need to be more cautious. The rate to date of anaphylaxis is 11 per 1,000,000 covid vaccines given (0.001%).
- The covid vaccine is NOT linked to infertility. This article has a clear concise explanation.
Trust in the science!
A lot of recommendations in medication sound scary – chemo, open heart surgery – but we trust in the science. I feel we should do the same now with the covid vaccine.
Hope this information is helpful to you!
Read the research for yourself:
- How messenger RNA vaccines work
- mRNA technology used in COVID-19 vaccines deemed safe, has been studied for decades, expert says
- Efficacy and Safety of the Moderna Vaccine
- Efficacy and Safety of the Pfizer Vaccine