Steps to Perform Simple Mindfulness for Kids
- To begin, find a comfortable sitting position. You can even place a hand on your heart. Allow your eyes to close or lower your gaze toward the floor.
- Bring to mind someone you respect and look up to and who loves you in return.
- Notice how you feel as you bring this person to mind.
- Make a kind wish and send it their way. What would make them happy?
- Bring to mind someone else you love and care about: A family member, a friend, a teacher. Send this person a kind wish.
- Now recall a person you don’t know very well: Bring this person to mind and imagine yourself sending them a kind wish.
- Lastly, consider someone who has frustrated you lately: Someone who is a little challenging to get along with. Send this last person a kind wish.
- Check-in with your mind and body as you conclude this practice. Allow your eyes to open if they’ve been closed. Notice how you feel.
Benefits of Mindfulness for Kids
- Increased focus, attention, self-control, classroom participation, and compassion.
- Improved academic performance, ability to resolve conflict, and overall well-being.
- Decreased levels of stress, depression, anxiety, and disruptive behavior.